Students will be introduced to using analytic and graphical methods to solve interesting applications involving complicated function. Equivalent to Algebra 2 plus Trigonometry.
Topics Covered: Algebra Review, Equations and Inequalities, Relations and Functions, Polynomial and Rational Functions, Systems of Equations and Matrices, Exponential and Logarithmic Functions, Trigonometric Functions, Trigonometric Identities, Applications of Trigonometry, Conic Sections, Binomial Theorem, Sequences, Combinations and Permutations.
This class will be tailored to be accepted by charter schools for high school credit. The course will involve homework after every class to practice the skills studied in class.
- Review of algebraic concepts such as exponents, radicals, polynomials, factoring, and complex numbers
- Linear and quadratic equations and inequalities
- Rational and radical expressions
- Absolute value
- Graphing linear and quadratic functions
- Shifts, stretches, symmetry, and reflections
- Synthetic division and long division
- Exponential and logarithmic functions
- Graphing trigonometric functions: sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, and co-secant
- Inverse trigonometric functions
- Trigonometric identities
- Applications of trigonometry: the law of sines, the law of cosines, vectors, and polar coordinates
- Systems of equations and matrices
- Conic sections: parabolas, ellipses, and hyperbolas
- Combinations and probability
Ages: 14+ or completed Algebra 2
Teacher: Gracie Tauch
Cost: Since this class meets twice a week to get through all the material, the cost will be $500 per semester (this is a year-long course)
This is the book we will be using:
Precalculus: A Graphing Approach by: Thomas W. Hungerford. ISBN-13: 978-0-030-56511-3
The class will also be lined up with the APEX online curriculum used by Inspire Charter School so students can receive A-G approved high school credit for the course at Inspire.